Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Lunchtime Fun

I never realized until this afternoon just how much fun a simple grilled cheese sandwich could really be. That's what Jeannie and I had for lunch today. Now, normally I would try to make her eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, but I REALLY wanted a grilled cheese. Can't explain it.

Anyhoo, I set Jeannie's sandwich in front of her (torn in half so she could pick it up and eat it without help), and the next thing I know, she's giggling. "Okay..." I thought. "Maybe she's just happy to be eating lunch. No big deal." Then she starts laughing harder. "This is getting a little strange..." I said to myself. So I looked over at her and there she is, talking (in her own way) to the sandwich halves and then chomping down on them with enough force to make her teeth click. I had to giggle a bit about it by then, because it was just too funny. Then she does it a second time, and a third. Through my near hysteria at seeing her do this, I realized what she must have been doing. She was using her imagination to pretend that she was some sort of monster and the sandwich was her next victim. "But she's only a little over a year old," you say. Of course she's only a little over a year old (almost 13 1/2 months, to be exact). But she is smart enough to know that if she's bored with something, that she can make a game out of it and voila--something as boring as a sandwich has become the most fun she's ever had...until the next adventure, anyway.

That, my friends, is something we could all learn from our little ones.

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment